Wednesday 30 July 2008

It's all about me

I thought it was about time we got to know each other better.
Well, as you can probably guess from the blog’s title, I’m originally from Somerset, now living on the fringes and working deep in the heartland. I cross three counties/unitary authorities on a daily basis. I’m very proud of my West Country origins – after all, this is the county that has given the world cheddar cheese, cider, the Wurzels and Glastonbury Festival. I don’t have a Somerset accent though, so if you’re reading this and trying to get an authorial voice, don’t give me one that sounds like a feminine version of Justin Lee Collins. And I definitely don’t have a beard.

I live in a large city with my boyfriend (who, to preserve his anonymity, will be referred to as “S”). I would like to increase our household by getting a cat, but the responsibility is huge and I’m not sure we’re ready for that. My job is in the arts, and in a five year “career” (and I do use that term loosely), I’ve racked up working for three theatres, a concert hall and a circus school. The latter was always an interesting topic of conversation at parties. What it’s left me with is a deep appreciation of not having to work in finance or insurance, a dislike of Arts Council statistical returns and a belief in the transformative power of the arts. Also a love of hanging upside down, as even though I quit working for the circus, I still take trapeze classes there on a weekly basis. I also like the fact I can wear trainers to work – in fact, if I turned up in heels and a skirt I would be stared at strangely – and that I can see shows for free a lot of the time.

Life is not worth living unless there is a book by my side. I love a wide variety of authors and genres, although there are a few tried and tested favourites I come back to time and time again. These include Possession by AS Byatt, The Secret History by Donna Tartt, Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niefnegger. As I write this, I realise that all these authors are female… I do read male authors, honestly!

Other things I love… coffee, red wine, sleeping, Chinese food, dancing, Frasier and soppy films. Punctuation is important to me - yes, I am one of those people who will judge you for putting an apostrophe in the wrong place, or not knowing the difference between “your” and “you’re”. This anal behaviour, however, earns me some extra cash as a freelance proofreader for magazines.

People.com is one of my guilty pleasures. Please don’t judge me.




No comments: